Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

  If you haven't heard about this book I'm sure that it will only be a matter of time before you find it on your radar.  John Green's latest tomb is popping up on "best of" lists everywhere.  While it's considered a YA novel, that shouldn't deter anyone from reading it.  This book created so many emotions for me that I'm having difficulty distilling my thoughts into a succinct blog entry.
  Hazel is terminal, and she has been for most of her adolescent life.  She meets Augustus and Isaac at her cancer support group that her parents force her to participate in.  What unfolds is an unexpected story of relationships made, strained and broken.  This is NOT a story about kids dying from cancer, this is a story about kids living with cancer.
  While the subject matter may seem a bit macabre, the tragedies in the novel are blurred by seemingly genius bits of humor.  I wish I had friends like this in high school.  They're bright and hopeful, full of love and longing, and for all intents and purposes, the kind of people I always hoped that I would be.
  I tend to lean away from books like these, simply because I don't want to depress my self in an imaginary world, when there is so much that is depressing right here in reality.  It turns out that this is a story of hope, and I know that I'll keep it with me for a really long time.
 

2 comments:

  1. John Green's latest tomb???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is his latest and it's great!

      Delete