Friday, January 4, 2013

The Dirty Parts of the Bible by Sam Torode

  I heard about this book through a recent reads book club.  As soon as I heard the title and summary I knew I had to read it.  Tobias Henry is the son of a Baptist preacher who lives in Michigan.  Like most teenaged boys he is obsessed with girls, so he is delighted when he happens upon Bible passages that reference sex and breasts. 
  After an accident leaves Tobias' father blind, embarrassed, and unfit to lead his flock, Tobias is sent on a quest to retrieve money that his father hid when he was younger on his family's farm down in Texas.  Along the way Tobias learns tough lessons about the world.  His travel money is stolen by a prostitute and he's forced to ride the rails with hobos.  One of which, Craw, becomes his de facto street mentor.
  Once they arrive in Texas, Tobias and Craw start working on the family farm while Tobias secretly tries to locate his father's hidden bank roll.  All the while Craw imparts his vast knowledge of love and women.  As fate would have it, there is a girl on the farm - Sarah, who Tobias eventually falls for, but what Tobias doesn't know is that she's cursed.
  This book was sweet and so funny.  I would classify it as sinfully delightful.  I was sad once I got to the last page.  Full disclosure - this book IS NOT in the Delaware Library Catalog, so I had to order it through ILL.  I also found the ebook version at Amazon for $1.  If you need a good laugh, definitely read this book.

1 comment: