Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey

To all you aspiring writers convinced you could never write a book:   read Fifty Shades of Grey.

Having been number 438 on the hold list, I was anxiously anticipating a good read.  Hadn't seen any reviews or listened to any hype because I like to form my own opinion.  I deeply regret that decision.
This is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read and the author is laughing all the way to the bank. The writing is so poor, I started skimming over several pages at a time just to get thru it.  How many times can you tolerate  "he looked so freakin' hot!"?   or revelations about  "my inner goddess" ?  
Spoiler alert:   The 2 main characters are shallow and juvenile & much of the book consists of them writing emails to each other to which the reader is painfully subjected.   It's obviously to take up space in between sex scenes (involving bondage and torture), and to make the book longer because the author can't write her way thru a coherent story.   Did we ever find out about the trauma Grey was subjected to as a boy and how he became the character he is?  What about "Mrs Robinson", now a "good friend and business partner"?   What about the roommate and the brother?  What about Ana's new publishing job?  Huh???????   But in fairness, I may have missed something skimming through all those tediously boring emails.
I'm guessing the end is a cliff-hanger to "force" you to "submit" to enduring the next 2 books?    Reading 50 Shades of Grey was more than enough bondage and torture for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment