Friday, November 2, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

  I cannot stress enough how tired I am of the "series".  There is something to be said for a book in which there is a definitive ending within the bounds of the front and back cover.  Not knowing anything about a book before reading it, and then realising within the last one hundred pages that there is absolutely no way in which anything can be wrapped up is starting to wear my nerves, but I digress.
  Now that I've gotten that out of my system, Cinder is a futuristic take on the classic Cinderella.  Set in the bustling metropolis of New Beijing, Cinder is a cyborg - a human with some mechanical parts, implanted after an unfortunate accident that claimed the lives of her parents, or at least, that's what she was told.  Within New Beijing there are others like her, treated a second class citizens, and basically looked upon as slaves by their guardians.  There are also regular humans, androids, and illegal immigrants from the moon - Lunars.  Not to mention a plague, the wicked step-family, and political dealings.
  There's a lot going on in this book, but the futuristic take on an old story actually translates quite well.  Meyer does a spectacular job of making Cinder the cyborg feel human and vulnerable.  The prince is quite cheeky, as is Cinder's android, which adds a nice feeling of levity to some of the more depressing passages.  Meyer ends this first installment of her Lunar Chronicles Quartet  on a real cliff hanger.  I'm happy I ran into this book a little late in the game, since the second in the series Scarlet is due out in early 2013.  All in all the book was okay - not something I'll be thinking about for weeks to come, but it was entertaining enough.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment