Thursday, June 18, 2015

YA - Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

Challenger Deep chronicles the decent of Caden Bosch, artist, student, friend, and son, into the depths of his psychotic delusions.  As Caden slowly declines, pulling away from friends and family, his parents make the difficult decision to check him into an impatient psychiatric facility.
As Caden's point of view shifts between his reality and his delusions, readers are lead on an adventure via a large, metamorphosing ship to the Mariana Trench.  Caden is unsure whether or not they'll reach their destination, and what terrors or treasures may await them there.  The captain, the parrot, the navigator, and other crew members are representations of people he is engaged with at the hospital.  Readers will root for Caden throughout, hoping that he makes it to the trench and back home.
I think this book is important.  I think the subject matter and the way it's presented is important.  That being said, I had a difficult time getting through it.  I wasn't uncomfortable with the subject, I really liked Caden, his family, his friends on the outside, and the friends he made while inside the facility, but for some reason it took me a while to get through the book.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, or for whatever reason it didn't resonate with me.  I don't particularly feel one way or the other, personally, but professionally I know that young adult novels should showcase different types of people with different types of challenges.  It's a good book if your in the mood for a serious read.

No comments:

Post a Comment