Thursday, March 20, 2014

YA - Blur by Steven James

  Daniel Byers is a typical teenaged boy living in a typical small town.  He's worried about college and how to act around girls.  Then, a nearly invisible underclassmen named Emily Jackson is found floating in Lake Algonquin.  Daniel attends her funeral along with his sheriff father and the rest of their small town.  While there Daniel has a terrifying vision, Emily is reaching out to him from beyond the grave, and she's telling him her death was no accident.  As Daniel begins to investigate her death he realizes that he may be losing his grasp on reality.
  Blur was a great book and I'm anticipating the second volume in this trilogy.  YA mysteries are often formulaic and I find myself skimming through only to find that I was right about the "who dunnit" all along.  Blur is different.  As a reader I found myself questioning whether or not Daniel was crazy, just as he was questioning himself.  Many parts are quite endearing.  While Daniel is typical, he is the kind of jock to stand up for those being bullied, acts awkwardly around girls, and admires his best friend's aptitude for creative writing.  This is a must read book for any fan of YA mysteries!
  **I was given an advanced copy of Blur by Netgalley for review.  This title is due out on May 27, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment