Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Caged Graves by Dianne K. Salerni


Honestly, I picked up this book simply because I was waiting for another to arrive.  I'm so happy I did.  I can't tell you the last time I finished a book in a day.  The gray, dreary, freezing temperatures didn't hurt either, but had it been a sunny day, I most likely would have binge read it anyway.
  Leaving the city life behind, Verity Boone is making her way to Catawissa, Pennsylvania, to reunite with her father and to finally meet her prospective husband, with whom she's only ever communicated to by letter.  After an inauspicious homecoming, Verity makes her way along a dirt road near her home and sees a most disturbing sight; two graves, both padlocked and caged, sitting outside of the cemetery proper.  Even more disturbing, one of the graves belongs to Verity's mother.  In accordance with her virtuous name, Verity sets out to find the truth about why this happened to her mother and ends up getting a lot more than she bargained for. 
  The Caged Graves is inspired by two actual caged graves in the town of Catawissa, Pennsylvania.  While I'm not usually drawn to American historical fiction, I found this book fascinating.  I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great mystery.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Can't believe I've actually been to Catawissa -along with Numidia, St Clair, Frackville, Ashland, and the smoking remains of Centralia. I MUST read this book!

    ReplyDelete