Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Let me confess: I have hit a reading slump.  I decided to jump back into the pool with The Diviners by Libba Bray, simply because I had heard too many good things to ignore it any longer.  While the buzz was positive, I'm not a read-a-review before reading the book type of girl.  I like the element of surprise and the ability to form my own opinions.
The Diviners settles around our main character Evie who has been banished from her boring mid-west town for performing unusual party tricks.  This banishment suits Evie just fine, as her exile leads her to Manhattan.  The downside?  She has to stay with her uncle Will, an expert in all things creepy and the curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult.
As Solomon's Comet prepares to make an appearance, strange murders begin to occur, murders that mirror those that started fifty years ago, the last time Solomon's Comet came through town.  The police tap uncle Will to consult on the cases and Evie tags along.  Soon she realizes that her party trick may help them catch the killer.
The plot and characters are thorough and delicious.  The book is a certifiable tomb, but I found myself breezing through the pages, completely invested in the outcome.  I was annoyed once I got to the end and found that this is the first book in a series.  I guess that's where reading reviews, before reading the book, is helpful (sigh).  No doubt, Libba Bray has a set the stage for an unforgettable and un-put-downable new series.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment