Monday, April 29, 2013

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

   I normally never pick up a Western but after reading the reviews on Goodreads, this looked promising - and it had an extremely cool cover. Alas, the reviews were much more fun than the book itself - however, I seem to be in the minority on this.
   Advertised as a dark, comedic "cowboy noir" genre, it's the story of 2 notorious gunslingers for hire during the 1850's California Gold Rush.  deWitt has been compared to Cormack McCarthy? - - puuuullllllease!!!  Shallow, boring, unfunny.  I felt like I was watching a B-grade movie complete with bad acting, minimal plot, gratuitous violence, then everyone goes home.
Snoozzzzzzzzzz. . . .
But as I said, I am in the minority on this one.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment